Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Blessed Are We Who Stand Before The Easel

Plein air supplies

For as long as I can remember, I have been looking for art inspiration, new art materials, new art techniques and the work and wisdom of other artists.

Robert Genn (1936-2014) is an example of an artist I have found along my journey who has so generously shared his work and wisdom through his Painter's Keys twice-weekly letters to everyone  (like me) who has subscribed to this free service. (Read the welcome letter here.)

I am grateful that his daughter Sara intends to continue the Painter's Keys letters and the well organized and useful Art Quotes page.

A few nuggets of wisdom from Robert G. that I cherish and think about all the time:
  • Your easel, your altar: "You might pause to consider how blessed are we who daily stand or sit before the easel.."
  • The Idea Life Cycle: "You can't be an apple seller without apples in your apple cart."
  • On signing and dating: "...signatures should be clear, consistent and pretty well always in the same place--lower right....the colour of the signature can often be harmonized or integrated into the painting...My advice to most artists is "unobtrusive but clear."
  • On solo shows: "The solo show, while often a vexing experience, is nevertheless a catalyst that can bring out the best of what is currently in you. Shows help to define an artist." 
And I love Robert's "Eleven Steps". Steps 1, 4, 7 and 10 are ones that resonate with me:
  • Step 1. Art is a perfectly complete cause. 
  • Step 4. You are responsible for radicalizing your strengths. 
  • Step 7. Learn from the greats, and expose yourself to better work.. 
  • Step 10. "Play" is your route to mastery.

One of my workspaces ....one of my altars.

My art journal that I play in daily.
Blessed am I.





No comments:

Post a Comment