Pages

Saturday, November 16, 2019

Royal Agricultural Winter Fair 2019

It was so great to be back at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair again this year. I attended on Thursday November 7, 2019 and was fortunate to return again on the last day November 10.

There are always LOTS of sketchers at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair

The scenes that I was attracted to were the scenes where humans were interacting with their animals, grooming them, feeding them, getting them ready for the competitions ....


It takes a LOT of work to get the Belgians and Clydesdales ready for their show classes. It is so fun to watch

I wanted to capture the love I saw expressed between the animals and their handlers
The equestrian Amber Wavryk in the sketch below (with  “Chocy”, a 10-year-old Irish Sport Horse gelding who won the $20,000 RAWF Horseware Indoor Eventing Challenge) and Amber loved my sketch so much that she contacted me to request a print.

Horses on deck
Screen shot from Amber Wavryk's Instagram story @wavrykam
And Amber found me because she saw another sketch of mine that was posted on the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair Instagram Story feed. I am very grateful for that!

Screenshot from @theroyalfair Instagram

There is something I find so joyful about locating myself in close proximity to these animals and sitting quietly to sketch them.

Mutual curiosity and attention










They have already announce the dates for next year and I plan to spend as many days as I can sketching at "the Royal" in 2020. Please join me if you can!

Link: https://www.royalfair.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment