Pages

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Inktober: 31 Days. 31 Drawings


Having recently purchased my first noodler's fountain pen (and blogged about it here) I am excited to take on the challenge of Inktober: 31 days - 31 ink drawings in the month of October.

Inktober was created by Jake Parker http://mrjakeparker.com/ (aka agent 44)

Jake is an illustrator based in Utah. For the last 15 years he has worked on everything from animated films to comics to picture books. He has lived in six states, working at the best studios with the most amazing and talented people in the country. Now he freelances out of his home studio.

Jake's sketchbook, drawn from Feb 2015 - July 2015 is featured in the video below.


Follow Jake  on social media

Jake's Recommended Inking Tools

Get details on all 9 here: http://mrjakeparker.com/inktober

My Tools for #Inktober

My inking tools

I have decided to stick with my Canadian exclusive noodler's Raven Black ink despite the fact that using it in my Strathmore sketchbook (with 100% cotton paper) hasn't been working out all that well for me ( at least not as well as the beautiful  Lexington grey that I only ordered a sample of.....sigh)

It is the most beautiful black when you compare it to other inks, I just really need an ink that dries faster and is waterproof (like Lexington grey). So I will adjust my sketching style to accommodate the ink's properties and see what happens?



FYI: On the naming of the noodler ink: ""A large Northern Raven – solitary and mysterious as is its nature, unlike crows – from an old 19th century painting – seemed the perfect label for a deeper mystery than the louder 1930s style. Only Mr. Poe and that bird would be worthy – and thus the darkest vintage period style ink that Noodler’s could make became “The Raven”

Some of My Inktober sketches

I will be using this single page to post some of my #inktober sketches to. Hope you enjoy!

No.1: "I'm so glad that I live in a world where there are inktobers"

No.2: "......In the tall, dried grasses/
a goat stirs/with nozzle searching the ground...."
by William Carlos Williams
Inktober No.5
Inktober No. 6
Eliza Blasina, 1890. From the Charles H. McCaghy Collection
of Exotic Dance from Burlesque to Clubs.

Inktober No.7
Inspired by photo of
Woman In A Clown Suit With Embroidered Cats
Playing Banjo And Concertina
Inktober No.8
"My Backseat Driver Lexie"
Inktober No.13
" I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Tat"
Inktober No. 19
"Come, Little Leaves"
Inktober No.20
"Snuggle Weather"
Inktober No.21
"How to tell if your cat is plotting to kill you"
Inktober No. 22
"Great oaks from little acorns grow"
Inktober No. 23
"Seek Out What Magnifies Your Spirit"
Inktober No. 25
The 23rd Prime Minister of Canada
Son of the 15th Prime Minister of Canada


Inktober Links

3 comments:

  1. Great artwork! I was also contemplating buying the raven's black and the Blue Upon Plains of Abraham ink for sketching and watercolour washes. As a fellow Canadian I can't resist something that's made just for us! I was wondering how those were working out for you. Did you have to wait hours until you could apply a colour wash?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The raven's black didn't work out well with my Noodler's flex fountain pen so I switched to Lexington Gray (that I absolutely LOVE!)

      I filled a pen brush with some of the raven's black and it gummed up the brush (the Lexington gray works great?)

      I plan to try the Raven' black in my Lamy when my refills run out...

      The Blue is beautiful - highly recommended if you plan to use blue. I don't really but I have tried it with a dip pen

      Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Sorry that I wasn't more helpful

      Delete
    2. No that's really helpful. I'm just getting into the world of fountain pen inking and have been trying to find a more portable alternative to my dip pens and luscious india ink. It's the waterproofness that I'm worried about as I like to lay down colour on location rather than afterwards.

      Delete