Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2021

New Year - New Directions 2021

There's an old Woody Allen quote that goes something like this, 'If you want to make God laugh, tell him you've made plans'.

Looking back on my blog post "New Year -New Directions 2020", I imagine God was having a good chuckle at my 2020 art goals: a new art website; teaching more workshops; organizing monthly urban sketching events and amping up my life drawing.

May 2020 photo of my yellow lab "Lexie" in front of Ottawa's Oldest Tavern in the Byward Market, Ottawa. (Artwork by Marc Adornato “It’s going to be OK. We’ll be back.”)

We kept telling ourselves and each other that it was okay and that "We'll be back" but today, January 31, 2021, we are still in a lockdown in Ontario, Canada as are many places around the world.

I witnessed a number of artist friends flourish during this period of forced isolation while others took the time to pause and reflect.

I continued my daily sketching practice and created infrequent (sometimes unfinished) acrylic paintings but I barely blogged here .... only five times in 2020 and I struggled with what to say so I shared links to things (art and artists) that were inspiring me in the art world.

Unfinished acrylic "Lexie On The Loose" June 2020

I feel the need to apologize for the infrequent blog posts; the uncompleted or declined commissions; the cancelled and declined workshop offerings; and the absence of Ottawa Urban Sketching events. I know it's not my fault but I feel genuine sorrow whenever I think of it still. 

In the absence of those regular art activities, I have been creating art and posting it in my Instagram stories or occasionally on my twitter feed.

Any 'urban sketching" these days for me involves snapping a photo and then sketching later at home. I am still collecting photos of phone booths and parking lot huts which have been disappearing over the past year.


Centretown phone booths have been disappearing.

I continued sketching "Pets In Windows" whenever I spotted them on my daily walks with my dog Lexie.

"Pets In Windows" series Husky on Bank St., Ottawa

I also continued experimenting with sketching on top of prepared acrylic papers (inspired by artist Alex Snellgrove).

My sketch of Luskville, Quebec artist Ruby Ewen

COVID-19 Garbage Day - The Teddy Bear Saved

 Daily Self Portrait Project.

Artist Claire Tabouret has inspired me to do my own version of a Daily Self Portrait Project.

"For two years, starting in 2012, artist Claire Tabouret woke up each morning and painted herself, brushing the lines of her face and gestures of her body in ink on paper. Over time, she amassed over 700 self-portraits in total, rendered in her loose, textured style, each a small notch in time.

"The Goddess Has My Ear" Selfie No. 21

I love that this project is reconnecting me to myself and that it occasionally captures the fragility, boredom and sadness I feel of waking up to another day in lockdown. I am only on #45 (as of today) but I hope to reach 700 like Claire did!

"Advent Selfie No.20

"Brush In Hand" Selfie No.3

My goal for this blog is to create at least one blog post per month. I hope to share some of my art with you, as well as some links to things that have been inspiring me.

I still believe that "It's going to be OK. We'll be back." Until then, stay safe and happy creating!

Artist Quotes That Made Me Think :

  • "Draw  a matchbox one hundred times" Artist Cornelia Foss 
  • "I work best going back to the same places. I change, they change or the weather changes" Artist Lois Dodd
  • "Great art is simple, dignified and profound." Will Barnet (1911-2012) 
  • "In spite of everything I shall rise again: I will take up my pencil, which I have forsaken in my great discouragement, and I will go on with my drawing." Letter 136 Vincent Van Gogh 
  • "Colour is the keyboard, the eyes are the harmonies, the soul is the piano with many strings.The artist is the hand that plays, touching one key or another to cause vibrations in the soul." Wassily Kandinsky

Two Books I'm Currently Reading

Two Artists I Recently Started Following

Two Techniques I Recently Explored

Source: AZ Art Quotes

 

No comments:

Post a Comment