Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2019

Testing New Papers

I am in between sketchbooks at present and I have had trouble choosing a new one so instead I have been trying out various "new-to-me" papers.
  1. Bee Creative Watercolour paper
  2. Fabriano Watercolour Paper
Bee Creative Watercolour Paper 


This watercolor paper was quite inexpensive ($21.99). The paper is acid free, natural white, cold pressed, 140 lb. (300 gsm) watercolor paper. European milled. 100% cotton paper for watercolor.

Hong Kong, Ink and watercolour Bee Creative watercolor paper.

The sketch above was inspired by a photograph on Facebook posted by my friend Mike Skinner when he was over in Hong Kong. It was actually the very first sketch that I did on the new paper and I was immediately satisfied.



I did several other quick sketches on the paper. The most recent one was of the two blue spruce trees at Gilmour an O'Connor.

These beautiful, old spruce trees were planted in 1922 (?) and appeared on the school report cards in 1950 ‬!! https://urbsite.blogspot.com/…/more-favourite-limbs-two-blu…

Every time my Labrador retriever Lexie and I walk by these two incredible trees we notice how much the snow is melting away more and more each day.

Last year these poor old trees were smothered in  salt, grit and snow which was worrisome - but not this year thankfully http://www.centretownbuzz.com/…/hoping-for-april-showers-r…/

Two blue spruce trees on Gilmour at O'Connor
I'm really happy with the paper and how it handles my pencils, inks and watercolours and the only complaint is the double wire binding. I'm not a fan of coil binding for my sketch books but these coils do create a flat surface and the pages are also micro-perforated to true size for easy sheet removal.

Fabriano Watercolour Paper


I just purchased some hot press, 140lb (300 gsm), 25 % cotton watercolor paper and thought I would try it on a portrait I'm working on for a newsletter.


The Wallack website says that the Fabriano Watercolour paper is ideal for watercolour, tempera, gouache, acrylic, ink and drawing and is:
 "...made of a valuable mixture of lignin free (cotton 25%) and cellulose pulp. The absence of acid guarantees the inalterability over time of the paper. Produced with 100% of E.C.F. pulp (Elemental Chlorine Free), F.S.C. certified from forests responsibly managed respectful of environmental, social and economic standards. It is sized internally and externally, guaranteeing optimal absorbance. "
At $13 (12 sheets), I may continue to use this paper for my field sketches. I will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment