Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Where Did August Go?

Where did the summer go?

I love this poem about "August" written by Elizabeth Maua Taylor.

August rushes by like desert rainfall,
A flood of frenzied upheaval,
Expected,
But still catching me unprepared.
Like a matchflame
Bursting on the scene,
Heat and haze of crimson sunsets.
Like a dream
Of moon and dark barely recalled,
A moment,
Shadows caught in a blink.
Like a quick kiss;
One wishes for more
But it suddenly turns to leave,
Dragging summer away."

My month of August started here on the Dumoine River, Quebec August 1-6, 2018

"Like a matchflame" indeed. My month of August started on the Dumoine River in Quebec and is now ending with an invitations to talk to students about the Ottawa Urban Sketchers at the Ottawa School of Art  (August 28) as well as a delightful invitation to join an Ottawa women artists gathering in Westboro (August 29). I am so grateful!

A snapshot of a birthday gift I was working on for my Father's 82nd birthday in August.
It has been such an incredibly busy, inspiring and productive month. I have met some incredible artists, learned a great deal and I have grown in some exciting new directions in my own art practice.

August Links

I am planning to blog in some detail about my experiences at the Dumoine River art retreat "DRAW2018" and about some of the projects that I am currently working on, but for now I thought that I would share some interesting links of things I came across in the month of August.

Watson-Gupthill "Handbook of Landscape Painting"


"The War of Art" by Steven Pressfield


I am really looking forward to blogging again in September and, until then, in the words of Gordon MacKenzie, keep painting!


"Keep Painting" by Gordon MacKenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment