Wednesday, October 11, 2017

ArtSpeaks

I received an email last week that my watercolour "All Acts of Kindness" was selected for the October 20 exhibit "ArtSpeaks".

"ArtSpeaks is a new concept in the art community, which seeks to reduce the stigma of homelessness by exhibiting the clients’ artwork alongside established artists." (Source: ArtSpeaks)

"All Acts of Kindness" (watercolour, 5x7)

An independent professional from the Ottawa art community curated the final selection of art for the event.

The rules read that "Artists can receive up to 60% of proceeds from artwork sales at ArtSpeaks, with the remaining 40% being retained by Shepherds of Good Hope.
Shepherds of Good Hope is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the needs of homeless and vulnerably-housed men and women in the city of Ottawa. We provide around-the-clock, comprehensive services to our clients and residents, most of whom live with addictions, mental health challenges and trauma. From a 254 bed shelter, to our 5 supportive living residences across the City of Ottawa, over 450 men and women sleep in our facilities each night. By offering innovative programs and services in a non-judgmental environment, Shepherds of Good Hope is creating a community for all through acceptance, compassion and care.
I have chosen to donate the full proceeds of this sale (if sold) to Shepherds of Good Hope.

This painting was originally produced for the Ottawa homeless newspaper "The Wrench" that I contributed to. (See my 2016 post http://moynahanstudio.blogspot.ca/2016/11/a-new-project-sketching-for-ottawa.html)

The Ottawa Wrench banner with my Bank St sketch

The Ottawa Wrench is a media platform to share stories and information about the homeless population of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. They had previously published four physical newspapers and have been running since September 2016. The good folks at the Wrench currently offer a writing workshop for homeless individuals every Saturday morning from 9:30-11:30am at Centre 454. Vist their website here: https://ottawawrench.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment