Pages

Friday, July 28, 2017

The Pontiac Artists' Association 2017 Artist Residency (Part II)

On the drive to the residency with artist Kate Strickland we witnessed this sky!
This is a long, LONG post about my experiences at the  Pontiac Artists' Association 2017 Artist Residency in July 2017.



Lots of folks have asked me about my residency experience and said that they were looking forward to reading the details on my blog. I hope that this late, condensed version of my experiences pays proper tribute to the incredible artists and many other folks that I met in Pontiac, Quebec this past summer.

The photo above of my drive to my Quyon, Quebec host's home (Elaine and Wayne) was wonderful. Not only did Kate and I see deer along the drive, we also witnessed some beautiful crepuscular rays poking through the clouds over the Ottawa river. This, we both took, to be a sign that the week would be great and we were correct!

The Stone School, Portage-du-Fort, Québec
The Stone School (pictured above) would be our home base for two days of workshops during the residency. A beautiful heritage building, the Stone School (in addition to space for workshops) has two galleries (an upper and lower) http://www.artpontiac.com/gallery.html.


My sketch of my supplies for the Artist Residency
Fortunately, I had a majority of the items that appeared on the residency supply list. I was pretty happy that I was not packing a LOT because I was getting a ride there and back from two other artists (Kate Strickland and Laurie Foster-McLeod) and their cars were already loaded with their supplies!
  
 Book making with Valerie Bridgeman

Day One of the Residency took place in the workshop of artist Valerie Bridgeman who does pottery, printmaking and book arts. www.valeriebridgeman.com

Artist Valerie Bridgeman providing instructions on making an art journal
I was delighted that she would be instructing us on how to create our very own art journal.

It was immediately obvious that Valerie really enjoys teaching people how to create things that they love. She offers creative, hands-on workshops in her studio (and elsewhere) where you can learn how to make paper, handmade artists’ books, print without a press, decorated papers, or create artist trading cards.

We created a "double pamphlet book" style art journal: (I took notes while making my book but there are some great photos of the process here: http://www.paperandthreads.com/2014/06/making_a_simple_sketchbook_the.php)
  • We started with two sheets of paper that we cut into 8 pieces (using a bone folder to crease first)
  • Its important to be aware of the grain in the paper when doing this. This can be determined by looking at how easily it freely it bends: There will be less resistance in one direction than the other. The bend with less resistance is parallel to the grain.(Here's a great video if you are curious to know more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlA8icCHl_w
  • We were offered Reich's SAVOY, 100% Cotton, 80 Text and a plainly coloured paper to use for our cover and Valery suggested that we could decorate the cover later.
  • The holes were punctured with an awl and then threaded with embroidery thread
I really enjoyed this workshop a LOT. Here are some photos of my completed art journal that I have since used as my Ottawa Nature Journal.

My Art Journal
I love the way that the journal lies flat to sketch in

I decided to use my journal as my Ottawa Nature Journal to record the seasons

Demonstration of chain saw sculpture techniques 
by Peter Van Adrichem
Peter Van Adrichem
One of the delightful experiences of this residence was meeting the other visiting artists like Peter Van Adrichem, Peter Van Adrichem is a woodcarver with 20 years of experience. His website is http://www.chainsaw-art.ca/html.htm 

Peter's Fleetwood Studio in Kemptville, Ontario opened in 2000.


Peter Van Adrichem
Peter explained to us his tools of the trade. He works with a small-sized and regular chainsaw with a standard chain. Despite me phobia of saws and blades of every variety, I enjoyed Peters explanations about Quarter tip and dime tip blades and his demonstrations of the various cuts (straight, grinding and jabs)

Peter described his safety gear:


My workshop "Sketching and Paying Attention"  by Cindi Moynahan-Foreman





Artist’s talk: Catherine Timm, Fiber Artist 






  Pocket Assemblages with Kate Strickland










"Sacred Nature" by Cindi Moynahan-Foreman


Mark Making Workshop 
with Karen Mackay 









Dinner at Cafe 349    







Printmaking and nature-based plein air workshop “River Works” 
with Rob Hinchley.







This is my plein air painting and a photo of me painting it by Laurie Foster






Dinner at Dale’s, Calumet Island.




Artist’s Talk with Geraldine Taylor

about her work on the 1983 "Company of Artists and Patrons" Portfolio and her belief that art is not necessarily created by an individual, but by a whole community.



Demonstration of chain saw sculpture techniques 
by Peter Van Adrichem



Vernissage: “The Nature of the River”:  

We held an exhibition of works created during the Residency week at Art Brûlant and Impressions in Shawville, Quebec.













Thankful for the whole experience

Special thanks Elain and Wayne, Laurie, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment