|Art journal sketch: "Lexie's First Snowfall"|
The word "muse" (myo͞oz) has its origins in Greek mythology. The Greeks believed that inspiration or "enthusiasm" came from the muses. "Muse" today is generally used to describe a source of inspiration for an artist.
"Throughout history, artists have been inspired by the presence of certain other beings in their lives that motivated them to create their best work." (Source: Alison Nastasi,'s Artists and Their Cats)
Many books and articles have been written about artists and their canine and other pet muses. (See my links at the bottom of this page and make sure you visit the blog www.oscaratemymuffin.com)
My Canine Muses
My art journals are filled with sketches of my black, chocolate and yellow labrador retrievers over the years: Willow, Codie, Bo and Lexie.
|April 5: "Rainy Day" Bo and Don|
Art journal sketch
Then, there was Lexington...
Then Lexington (Hatja and Bauer's puppy now known as "Lexie") was born on the 6th of April 2012 in Arthur, Ontario and life has not been the same since. She is my constant companion, my muse and the frequent subject of many of my daily sketches.
|Lexie and me sketching|
Art journal sketch: Beauty Triumphs
|Lexie thinks she's a lap dog!|
(Art journal sketches)
(Art journal sketch using marker)
|Ex Libris from my art journal|
|"Dogsitting" (art journal quick sketch)|
Lexie and her bestfriend Samson
|November Comes: "Lexie Walk"|
Art journal sketch (graphite & watercolour)
|Art journal sketch: "Wisdom Teeth"|
|Art journal sketch "Snoozin"|
Best in Show Art Exhibition
- FemArt: Beatrix Potter's Animal Muses
- Artists and their animal muses
- Artists and Their Doggie Muses
- Famous Artists and Their Dogs
- Cesar Milan's: "600 years of dogs in art"
- Cats and Dogs With Their Favourite Humans
- The Gate: The model as the muse
- Shaggy Muses: The Dogs Who Inspired Virginia Woolf, Emily Dickinson, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Edith Wharton, and Emily Brontë
- Brain Pickings Review: The Big New Yorker Book of Dogs
- Brain Pickings: Dog Songs: Mary Oliver on What Dogs Teach Us About the Meaning of Our Human Lives
- Brain Pickings:Cats, Dogs, and the Human Condition: The Year’s Best Books about Pets and Animals
- Brain Pickings: Three Delightful Poems About Dogs from E.B. White
- Blog: Oscar Ate My Muffin
|Lexington ("Lexie") in the backyard|