Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2015

"Value Does All The Work - And Colour Gets All The Glory"

Below is a quote that I have pasted into the front of my Strathmore toned paper sketch book as a reminder to never skip the basics:

"Value does all the work
and colour gets all the glory"
(author unknown)


Patterns: focus light, focus Dark, light "baby" and light "mama".


Group 1 Value Patterns grid
I created this little grid in my Strathmore toned paper sketch book to remind myself to play with the value pattern configurations. The value patterns are the "bones" of the painting.

Often when I am feeling quite lost, or if my painting is losing what I was aiming for, a quick review of my value sketch is incredibly helpful and quickly puts me back on track.

My art journal: Practice sketches

My art journal: Practice sketches

My art journal: Practice sketches

My art journal: Acrylic sketch based on value sketch

Links to Other Artist's Pages

(***) My favourites

Tools from my sketch kit


No comments:

Post a Comment