Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2014

My Art Teachers

I feel privileged to have receieved my early art training from many incredible teachers

Sr. Collette Michniewicz, 
C.S.S.F. 

Sr. Collette seated in the front row
Sr. Collette is a member of the Felician Sisters and a teacher who taught art for many years at the original Holy Name of Mary high school.

She was my first teacher in fine arts. I learned to paint with oils from her. Her instruction was inspiring and she had incredible patience. I developed a lifelong love for the creative process through her love for art.

She organized the first art exhibit that I participated in (1971) at Holy Name Of Mary. The art piece that I was most proud of in the art show was an oil painting that was a blue monochromatic night scene of a car parked under a street light.

Central Technical School 
(Toronto)


Central Technical Art School in Toronto was my first official art school. I attended summer classes here and was the youngest student in my life drawing class. I lived outside the boundaries for the school and they made an exception for me. I took public transportation all the way from Cooksville, Ontario each day.
I loved my time at this school.

T.L. Kennedy Vocational Art Program (Mississauga)
I left Holy Name of Mary after Grade 10 (1971) specifically to attend the Vocational Art Program that was being offered at T.L. Kennedy. This program offered commercial art (Mr. Domenici), life drawing, etc (Miss Kertesz) and pottery-ceramics (Mr Rahkola)

My Teachers
From the 1972-73 Yearbook


Students

My Grade 11 Class
Commercial Art Training
1976 (Dave Winfield FB photograph)
My favourite project: designing jam jar labels
Pottery - Ceramics Class
1976 (Dave Winfdield FB photo)
My favourite sculpture that I made: Ahand holding a paint brush
Life Drawing Class
1976 (Dave Winfield FB photo)
My most challenging life drawing sketch: when the model pointed directly at me.
(also my best life drawing sketch)

1972 Friends Gary Meyers, Rene Arnolis and Jennifer Jenkins
1972 Ms. Kertesz with art students
1969 (Note Mr Rahkola in the third row)
Graduate Links
If anyone knows of any other practicing artists, please let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment